Domestic Electrical Course Package
Beginners & Other Trades
Why take the Domestic Electrical Course Package?
This brilliant course package opens the door to a brighter future working as an Electrician starting you out with Domestic Electrical skills. You’ll be able to get working, build up your experience and then in time progress to full qualified status with our 4 Steps programme. This course gives you the foundations necessary to start carrying out supervised domestic electrical work. It's easy to add new and in-demand skills packages such as Electric Vehicle Charging, Solar PV, PAT Testing and and find work in these growing industries. Our four steps electrician programme starts with Domestic Electrics to give you the best chance of finding work and build up industry experience.
Remember if you take your Step 1 you are enrolled on our Level 2 & 3 Diploma programme and have begun your journey to become a registered electrician. We recommend that all beginners should look to complete the 4 steps journey if seeking to work in the electrical industry. This a fully recognised route into the industry and is a great platform from which to start your career. See here for more information.
Electrician Taster Sessions
If you are new to the industry and want to train as an electrician why not register for a taster session to find out if electrics could be the right career for you.
A complete foundation in domestic electrics, the perfect starting point for anyone new to the industry wanting to become a registered electrician or specialise in something new. The first step of our 4 steps programme and one of our most popular courses. The course breaks down as follows:
- 10 Days Practical In Centre
- 3 Days E-Learning
- 5 Days Virtual Classroom
What Is The 4 Steps Program and What Does It Lead To?
The 4 Steps mirrors and maps to the industry recognised route for electrical trainees. It allows those who when starting out may not be working in the Electrical industry and breaks down the pathway into manageable chunks with clear marking points of achievement. Once you find employment in the industry, the 4 Steps allows you to move across to a funded route without any hassle of repetition of training and thus complete your journey to becoming an Electrician.
Who Is It For?
Anyone looking to become a registered electrician
- Those new to the Industry
- Other trades looking for extra skills and opportunities
This course package is designed to give you the skills to find employment in this growing industry. If you want to work unsupervised you should expect to return and complete our full 4 step programme including an NVQ.
How Long Does It Take?
Course Timings and Delivery Methods
- Week 1 Domestic Installation Workshop (5 Days in Centre)
- Week 2 Introduction to Electrical Installation & Part P (2 Days Virtual Classroom, 3 Days E-Learning)
- Week 3 Inspection & Testing (5 Days In Centre)
- Week 4 18th Edition Wiring Regulations (1 Day eLearning & 2 Days Virtual Classroom)
What Skills Will I Learn on Step 1?
- Use of Basic hand tools
- Installing and terminating twin and earth cable
- Understanding and installing standard circuits for Lighting, Power & Cookers
- Connecting of bonding to gas and water services
- How consumer units work and connection to them
- Correct Selection of equipment and Special locations
- Basic SI Units, Ohms Law and Power Calculations
- Calculating maximum demand and applying diversity for a domestic installation
- Correct selection of cable sizes
- Compliance with the Building Regulations
- Earthing Systems
- Circuit Protection
- Safe Isolation (Single Phase)
- Fundamentals of inspection and testing
- How to use and apply the Wiring Regulations (BS7671)
What Units of The Level 2 Diploma Are Covered On Step 1?
The following units of the Level 2 (City and Guilds 2365-02) Diploma in Electrical Installations are partly covered in Step 1:
- 202 – Science Principles
- 203 – Electrical Installations Technology
- 204 – Installation of Wiring Systems and Enclosures
These are further developed and assessed in Step 2.
Why Should I Choose Trade Skills 4U?
- Our trainers are industry specialists with both years on the tools and training qualifications. They’re up to date with the latest information and methods of making our courses work for you.
- We train adults - you’ll be learning with people just like you.
- Our venues are designed from the ground up to offer the very best training environment for you.
- We’ve got a great industry reputation - but more importantly the people who train with us come back time and time again to further their skills and opportunities. That’s the best review you can get.
- We’re designed to help you succeed - we know that life can sometimes get in the way so we offer flexible dates, flexible locations and flexible payment schemes.
The Core Competencies You’ll Gain
Wiring & Building Regulations
Inspection & Testing Skills
Exams and Assessment
We have average first time pass rates of over 90% on this course. You will take a variety of practical formative and summative assessments on this course as well as online multiple choice exam.
Please note that you must bring photographic ID such as a passport or driving license with you in order to sit the assessments on this course. Exams for remote learning can be booked in via student services once you are ready. On in centre elements exams take place at the end of each week.
We stock some books in our main centres, however we can not guarantee stock availability unless you call us in advance to purchase the books. To buy books please call 01293 529777. You will need the following books for this course:
- Electrician’s Guide to the Building Regulations, 5th Edition - ISBN 978-1785614682
- Guidance Note 3: Inspection & Testing, 8th Edition - ISBN 978-1785614521
- BS 7671:2018 Requirements for Electrical Installations, IET Wiring Regulations 18th Edition (blue) - ISBN 978-1785611704
- IET On-Site Guide (BS7671:2018, 7th Edition) - ISBN 978-1785614422
Frequently asked questions
Can I split the weeks up?
Yes of course. You cant book this online but give us a call on 01293 529777 with your preferred dates and we will arrange this for you.
Can I pay in instalments?
You can pay a deposit a then an interest free installments 21 days before each week you attend your course. We are now able to offer low monthly payments which can be spread over 1-4 years. See paying for your course for more info.
What work is notifiable / non-notifiable?
Notifiable work is work that requires a Part P certificate to be generated for the home owner or customer. In order to generate a Part P certificate Building control will need to be notified for the job or a Scheme provider such as the NICEIC. The items in the list below with ticks are notifiable and the ones with crosses are non-notifiable jobs:
About Domestic Installer Schemes
Your acceptance on a Domestic Installers Scheme is the decision of the registration body and dependent on your skills, experience and knowledge level. Tradeskills4U is a training company and responsible for training only. We are not responsible for the assessment process or eligibility of students to gain registration with any external organisation.
If you want to join a scheme please ensure you speak to your chosen scheme provider to check their specific requirements. Recent changes to schemes have made these routes much more confusing and we recommend anyone looking to register should future proof their career by completing Steps 1-4.
Do Part P schemes operate in Scotland?
No, Part P only applies to England and Wales.
Must I join a registration body scheme, Like NICEIC, ELECSA etc?
Frankly, No. You can undertake notifiable and non notifiable work without being registered with a registration body and whilst there are obvious business benefits to joining such schemes, they are not mandatory.
We have had guidance discussions with Senior building control officials on your behalf and the advice we have been given and as is stated in building regulations, the system is such that you are able to undertake domestic electrical work for a customer and by liaising with local building control you can ensure the homeowner obtains their Part P compliance certificate.
The issue here is ‘competency’. You must be competent to do the work and Building control will need to know you’re competent.
How do I gain experience?
Most people that train with us on this course will build up their experience by doing the following things:
- Doing small projects at home or with friends and family
- Carrying out minor works and non notifiable jobs
- For notifiable jobs they can work with building control to generate a Part P Certificate
- Working with an experienced electrician for more complex installs (Full time / Short contracts)
What are my limitations?
As well as the having multiple large sites, we also have a number of sites dedicated to delivering the 18th edition wiring regulations & PAT Testing courses.View all locations
Our Northern training facility is situated just off Junction 10 of the M62 at Birchwood Park and is very accessible from towns such as Warrington, Manchester, Liverpool and Chester.Unit B, The Beacons, Warrington Road, Birchwood, WA3 6WY View details
Our brand new centre opened in July 2019 offering a full range of electrical courses for those based in Birmingham, Coventry, Leicester, Northampton and all over the midlands region. The new centre is based in Westwood Business Park right next...Rowan House, Westwood Way, Coventry, West Mids, CV4 8HS View details
Our Mitre Court and Royce Road Facilities are just 2 minutes south of Gatwick Airport and are easily accessible by car, bus and train. They are comfortable, light and airey environments in which students can learn a wide range of practical and theory based skills.Mitre Court, Fleming Way, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9JY View details
Phoenix House has raised the bar for electrical training centres in the UK. The centre is just East of Leeds situated just off of the M1 / A1. This makes it easily accessible from Leeds, Sheffield, Hull, York, Harrogate and all over Yorkshire.Phoenix House, Hawthorn Park, Coal Road, Leeds, West Yorks, LS14 1PQ View details