Science of Electro Technology
Why take the Science of Electro Technology?
This course will help you understand the science behind the practical skills and is a very good way to gain a quick overview of some of the key principles.
The main objective of this module is to give you the foundation knowledge of science and electrical fundamentals to understand how and why an electrical system works.
This is essential when considering progression onto the City & Guilds 2391-52 Testing and Periodic Inspection, Solar PV installation, Contractor short electrical courses and into the lucrative opportunities of commercial electrical installations where a deeper understanding is required.
Electrician Taster Sessions
If you are new to the industry and want to train as an electrician why not register for a taster session to find out if electrics could be the right career for you.
Fundamental Electrical Science Technology for Installation Work
Why take this course?
This science theory workshop gives you the foundation knowledge to fully understand how and why basic electrical systems work. This knowledge is essential for those considering progressing onto more advanced electrical courses.
This theory workshop explains the science of electro technology and answers such questions as; What is electricity? How circuit breakers work? What do transformers do? From voltage to Ohm's law; this course includes interesting and essential information for the electrical contractor.
Is this course right for me?
This course package is suitable for anyone who wants to progress onto more advanced electrical contractor courses where a deeper knowledge of the science is required. A solid grounding in maths (GCSE) is very useful.
Principles of Electrotechnology Course Content:
Fundamentals of electricity
- Electron theory including atomic elements and free electrons
- Charge and attraction
- Coulomb’s Law
- Conductors, Insulators and Semiconductors
- Electrical symbols and mathematical expressions.
Simple electrical circuit theory:
- Ohm’s Law
- Using digital multimeters to measure resistance, voltage and current
- Practical workshop including the building a simple electrical circuits calculating the expected value of current and measuring the actual resistance, voltage and current
- DC series circuits, this follows the theory then practical route
- DC parallel circuits, again this follows the theory then practical route reinforcing the use of previously learnt techniques.
- DC series – parallel circuits, following the same pattern as the previous day
- Power, solving power problems using power formulae
- Electromagnetism and electromagnets.
Basic AC Theory:
- Introduction to AC, sine waves, single and 3 phase supplies
- AC generation
- Voltage and current, peak, instantaneous and RMS values
- Relationship between line and phase voltage in a 3 phase system
- Transformer theory, calculation and practical
- Capacitance theory, calculation and practical
- Inductance theory, calculation and practical
- Impedance theory, and calculation of circuit impedance.
There are no formal assessments for this course.
Course Book Required
No books required for this course.
Frequently asked questions
What is the purpose for the 4141-02?
The main objective of this module is to give you the foundation knowledge of science and electrical fundamentals to fully understand how and why an electrical system works.
As well as the having multiple large sites, we also have a number of sites dedicated to delivering the 18th edition wiring regulations & PAT Testing courses.View all locations
Phoenix House has raised the bar for electrical training centres in the UK. The centre is just East of Leeds situated just off of the M1 / A1. This makes it easily accessible from Leeds, Sheffield, Hull, York, Harrogate and all over Yorkshire.Phoenix House, Hawthorn Park, Coal Road, Leeds, West Yorks, LS14 1PQ View details
Our Northern training facility is situated just off Junction 10 of the M62 at Birchwood Park and is very accessible from towns such as Warrington, Manchester, Liverpool and Chester.Unit B, The Beacons, Warrington Road, Birchwood, WA3 6WY View details
Our brand new centre opened in July 2019 offering a full range of electrical courses for those based in Birmingham, Coventry, Leicester, Northampton and all over the midlands region. The new centre is based in Westwood Business Park right next...Rowan House, Westwood Way, Coventry, West Mids, CV4 8HS View details
Our Mitre Court and Royce Road Facilities are just 2 minutes south of Gatwick Airport and are easily accessible by car, bus and train. They are comfortable, light and airey environments in which students can learn a wide range of practical and theory based skills.Mitre Court, Fleming Way, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9JY View details